June 15th - 19th
Hello families!
Room 10 had a fantastic week of learning and creativity! Students had a blast participating in golf lessons with Mr. Mike, and we are very grateful for the opportunity to learn from his expertise and enthusiasm. In the classroom, students continued making great progress on both their Book in a Bag and Design a Character projects, applying their literacy, creativity, and math skills as they worked toward completing these exciting end-of-year assignments.
Learning Intentions:
Grade 3:
I can identify important characters, settings, and events in a story.
I can explain the main problem and solution in a story.
I can share my ideas and opinions about a book using examples from the text.
I can create visual representations that help communicate my understanding of a text.
I can present my ideas clearly to an audience using appropriate speaking skills.
Grade 4:
I can summarize a text by identifying important ideas, events, and themes.
I can explain how characters, settings, and events contribute to a story.
I can support my opinions about a book with evidence and examples from the text.
I can create visual and written responses that demonstrate my understanding of a text.
I can communicate my ideas effectively through oral presentations and discussions.
This week, students continued working on their Book in a Bag projects. They carefully designed cover art that represents an important event, character, or idea from their chosen book while ensuring they included the book title and author. Students also began bringing their stories to life by creating their symbolic objects using clay. On Wednesday, students started typing their summary, object explanation, and book recommendation paragraphs, applying the paragraph writing skills we have been practicing in class. We are looking forward to completing our projects and sharing them with classmates during presentations on Tuesday afternoon!
Learning Intentions:
Grade 3:
I can use a grid to create and describe shapes.
I can measure and record side lengths using square units.
I can identify the perimeter of a shape by finding the distance around it.
I can calculate the perimeter of shapes using side lengths.
I can explain my mathematical thinking using numbers, words, and diagrams.
Grade 4:
I can use a grid to create and describe shapes.
I can measure and record side lengths using square units.
I can determine the area of shapes by counting square units.
I can calculate the area of shapes by breaking them into smaller rectangles.
I can explain my mathematical thinking using numbers, words, and diagrams.
Students have been hard at work on their Design a Character measurement projects. This week, they continued designing their pixelated characters on grid paper and began measuring and recording the side lengths of different body parts in preparation for calculating perimeter (Grade 3) or area (Grade 4). Many students have also started transferring their designs onto large grid chart paper, using rulers to carefully recreate their characters while maintaining the same proportions as their original designs. We are excited to finish these projects next week and see everyone's unique characters come to life!
Learning Intentions:
Grade 3:
I can create a set of instructions that could be followed by a human or a machine to complete a task.
I can identify computational thinking used to solve problems or achieve desired outcomes.
Grade 4:
I can plan and create an artifact to meet a need.
I can provide feedback to others during the design process.
I can test an artifact to confirm that it meets intended needs.
I can collaborate to design an algorithm to solve a problem.
This week, students explored the world of coding through a fun offline activity. Working with partners, they wrote programs using sequences of arrows (up, down, left, and right) and colour commands to create designs and patterns. Students then tested their programs by having a partner follow the instructions exactly as written, helping them understand the importance of clear and precise coding. They also practiced following given programs to recreate designs. This hands-on activity allowed students to apply coding concepts we have been learning on computers while developing their problem-solving, communication, and debugging skills.
Reminders and Upcoming Dates:
June 24th: Grade 6 Farewell
June 25th: Sports Day and report cards are live.
June 26th: Last Day of Classes.
Comments
Post a Comment